Payroll Team Update
All new employees should be automatically enrolled for KiwiSaver if they are:
- aged 18 or older, and under the age of 65
- living, or normally living, in NZ
- entitled to stay in NZ indefinitely (among others, this includes NZ and Australian passports holders and those with residence visas)
- an Australian or NZ citizen living in NZ.
- hold a temporary entry class visa
- have a limited-purpose visa, or
- are aged 65-years-old or older.
- you offer an approved alternative superannuation scheme, or
- you have been granted exempt employer status.
1. Give them the following forms:
- Your introduction to KiwiSaver – employee information (KS3)
- KiwiSaver deduction form (KS2)
- New employee opt-out request form (KS10).
- Complete the KS1 form and send it to the IRD at the same time as your next PAYE Return (Employer Monthly Schedule/IR 348) or you can file it online through myIR
- Start deductions from the employee’s first pay. Remember the 3% compulsory employer contributions and employer superannuation contribution tax (ESCT).
- If the employee opt outs and completes a KS10 form you do not make any deductions. Send their KS10 form to the IRD as per the KS1 form.
- the rate they’ve nominated, or
- the minimum deduction rate of 3%.
- Have them complete and return a KS2 form to you.
- Once you receive this KS2 form you then send the IRD a completed KS1 form with your next EMS (showing your employee’s details) or file it online through myIR
- If an employee doesn’t advise you that they’re an existing KiwiSaver member, follow the new employee rules.
- Existing KiwiSaver members can’t opt out. If you have a new or existing employee who is a KiwiSaver member, and they don’t want deductions from their pay, they must apply for a contributions holiday. Start making deductions and paying compulsory employer contributions and ESCT until you get a copy of the employee’s contributions holiday letter
- If the new employee is already a member, and is already on a contributions holiday, they still need to give you a completed KS2. They must also give you a copy of their contributions holiday letter.
Anne Bland Extn. 831
Carolyn Lawrence Extn. 837
Maree Craig Extn. 825